2020 Dairy Beef Short Course
I-29 Moo University Collaboration will host the annual Dairy Beef Short Course on March 24 beginning at the Denny Sanford Premier Center, Rooms 8,9 & 10 (1201 N. West Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57104). This event is geared toward producers and industry involved in Dairy Beef Production, but the event is open to the public.
- 9:30 AM CST: Registration
- 10:00 AM: Finishing Dairy Cattle for Beef, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly – Dr. Ty E. Lawrence, Professor of Animal Science, West Texas A&M University
- 11:15 AM: Processor Panel Discussion, Being Conscious of Packer Programs that Fit Dairy and Dairy Beef Carcasses – Bill Munns, Marketing & Product Management with JBS Beef, Kevin Hueser, Senior VP Beef Margin Management, Tyson Fresh Meats
- 12:30 AM: Lunch provided by Sponsors
- 1:30 PM CST: Health Considerations for Dairy Beef During the Feeding Period – Russ Daly, DVM, SDSU Extension Veterinarian
- 2:00 PM: Feedlot Cattle Lameness and Economic Impact – Jan Shearer, DVM, MS, Professor Vet Diagnostic & Production Animal Medicine, ISU
- 2:30 PM: Roundtable Discussion with all Speakers
- 3:00 PM: Wrap-up & Adjourn
Registration cost is $25 and limited to the first 130 people on a first come first serve basis with the final registration deadline March 20. For more information on this event go to the I-29 Moo University website, or contact Tracey Erickson, SDSU Extension Dairy Field Specialist, or Warren Rusche, SDSU Extension Beef Feedlot Management Associate, or Fred Hall, ISU NW Iowa Dairy Specialist, Beth Doran, Beef Specialist, ISU Extension, Jim Salfer, Regional Dairy Extension Educator, UofM Extension, or Heidi Carroll, Livestock Steward Field Specialist.